Monday, February 22, 2021

One of My Favorite Stories for Black History Month

One of my students favorite stories is Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine. The story is about Henry "Box" Brown who reached the safety of the north by being shipped in a crate from Richmond, Virginia to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
This is a touching story about one boy's experiences during the era of slavery in the United States. It is a wonderful story for creating discussions, and it holds the students' attention very well.  
 
Because of my students' interest in the story, I created language arts activities to accompany it.  

Even without these activities, I think your students would enjoy this story very much!  If your library doesn't have it, you can find it on Amazon.   
Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment