If you're looking for a fun way to teach the phases of the moon, try having your students use Oreos to make their own model of the moon's phases. You can find instructions all
over the web, but here's some tips that may help your kids be successful.
1. Have a handout for them to see the phases as they build their model.
2. Have extra cookies on hand because some will break.
3. Show the kids how to use the twist method to break the cookie halves apart from each other.
4. Use popsicle sticks to scrape off extra frosting (some of my students still use their tongue).
5. Paper plates make a great "posterboard" for building the model.
6. Wander around and discuss the models with students to see if they understand why phases change.
Want to share this post? Click below.
Follow my blog for more cool ideas for teachers and kids. Thank you!